3.13.2007

Some Healthy-ish Recipes

I made a rhubarb compote this morning that was so good, I thought I would share it.

6 stalks rhubarb (about 3c)
2 in piece grated ginger
1/2 c maple syrup
2 TBS water

Put the ginger, syrup and water into a pan and heat on med heat about 5 min. Add sliced rhubarb, cover and simmer 10 minutes. That's it. I stirred it in to some FACE greek yogurt and it was sooo yummy. It would also be good on vanilla or plain yogurt. This made enough four about 4 servings.

Another recipe that I haven't tried but that looks really good is from Whole Foods.

Carrot Salad with Almond Butter Dressing

2 large carrots, peeled
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup creamy almond butter
1 TB fresh lime juice
11/2 TB tamari
1 tsp agave nectar
pinch red pepper flakes

Using a box grater, shred carrots and place in a large bowl. Add bell pepper, cilantro and raisins. In a small bowl whisk together almond butter, lime juice, tamari, agave and pepper flakes. Add dressing to carrot mixture and mix thoroughly. Allow to marinate for 1/2 hour and serve cold or at room temperature.

Can't wait to try it, doesn't it sound good!

Oh yea, I made a bread pudding type dish the other day that the kids and I just loved.

bread
eggs
milk
vanilla
apples

I buttered a 13x9 in dish. I used about 1 1/2 loaves of bread (not very big loaves) and 18 eggs (I was trying to use them up) and about 6c milk, 1 tbs vanilla and 3 apples.

Layer torn bread apples in the dish, begin and end with bread. Blend milk, eggs and vanilla and pour over casserole. Bake in 350 degree oven for about an hour - an hour and a half.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooo, always looking for some healthy-ish recipes. ;o)