12.30.2006

Gingerbread Birthdays

Okay, I might have figured out the picture thing.

A couple of weeks ago we were invited to a birthday party where we decorated gingerbread houses. Tonya had baked mountains of gingerbread and cut them into the appropriate shapes, she made gobs of thick, white, frosting and filled gallon-size baggies with the corners clipped like pastry bags, and she set out big bowls of candy, pretzels and cereal.

Hailey set right to work, she built like a pro. Sierra had some cave-in issues, but she was diligent. Kirstyn and I were trying to help the boys. They likely would have done better on their own. No one ever accused me of being crafty, and I don't think they are going to start now. One mom was building, um helping her son build a beautiful house, and Eli looked at theirs and then at his and said, "No, mom! Build it like that one!" When Sierra asked her how she was making it stay together so well she explained that mom's just have this innate ability to craft. Well, if I got that gene in childbirth it must be dormant.

A great time was had by all, even if some of us had flat roofs instead of peaked.












Doesn't she look happy?

1 comment:

Nicole Hearn said...

You don't waste time posting! :-D
Loved the pictures......I remember a few years back when I went to a Gingerbread Decorating Party determined to make something worthy of being displayed at the White House, and it eventually turned out to be pretty much a literal "white house" because I had SO much frosting trying to keep the thing together......