The table is done!
Mike modified these plans to fit our large family and built the table in a weekend. I painted the skirt and legs a creamy white and stained the top with both a regular stain and a gel stain. But first I beat it up a little. My goal was for the top to look a little old and worn, not too perfect. I didn't want the finish to be too uniform. I LOVE how it came out :) I put 3 coats of poly on the top to seal it, but truth be told it probably needs another coat or two.
Ignore the plastic chairs :) Benches are coming soon that will seat 4 on each side, and I picked up these chairs from a friend for $15 ea that will work great on the ends. All told it will seat 12, easy.
I'm going to try a dark brown milk paint on the chairs and benches. Then I'm going to rub some Danish Oil on them to add some depth. I can't wait to have it all done. It's so cool to have such a handy hubby :)
I think he's earned his man hammer!
PS. I got the man hammer at a really cool blog I can't find right now-hope to add a link later :)